Pregnant Friends - Prevent Melasma

One beautiful day in April 2015, I decided to lay out in the sun in the back yard. I was exhausted from having just moved into a new house. I was a month away from giving birth, and Jordan was at school. I had gotten a lot done that day, so I decided to treat myself to a little vitamin d to recharge. I changed into my swimsuit and set my chair up in the rather small patch of sun that shown through the trees into my backyard. I applied sunscreen and played music from my phone. I was in that chair for less than 20 mins when nature called. I went into the bathroom and as I was passing the mirror, something unusual caught my eye. I looked back in the mirror and stared.

I thought maybe I was seeing spots from the sudden change of light. No, no, no that was my face. My face was covered in dark spots. Almost like giant freckles covering my face. Have you read the book, Freckle Juice? I felt like I belonged in that book. I called my husband frantic. His answer was the same as always, "Google it". I read all about pregnancy hormones and changes in skin. What Google says is that the condition Melasma may last a little longer than the pregnancy. I was mortified, but after a few hours of research I decided it was time to calm down. After all, moms go through all sorts of things for their babies. Stretch marks, saggy boobs, dark circles... But in the end, it's worth it because of your child, and it's temporary.

Delivery day came and went, and I had other more important things to worry about than my face. As the months went on the spots did lighten a bit. There were some places that the spots thinned out entirely. Here I am two years later though, and my face is still covered in dark spots. I am in my mid thirties, and I want my face back! I am not one of those girls who wears makeup every day. When I do wear it, I apply it sparingly. In the recent months though, I have found myself using an awful lot of concealer just to go to the gas station. That's not like me at all.

Please save your face! If you are pregnant, please use this as a big warning. Sunscreen will not necessarily protect you. If you are going to spend time in the sun, invest in a big floppy hat and big sunglasses. You may look silly, but you will thank me later.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frog Update- The Results Are In

I Hope You Know

Orifice Reducers